Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Amateur Crafter: Project 0.2 – A Grizzly Now Lurks in the Cave!



It’s here! My Grizzly G1015 grinder/sander has arrived, along with the oscillating drum sander – also purchased from Grizzly. This adds a whole new level to the process I can use to make a knife. Although it does have some limitations, which I’ll probably write an article on later, it looks like this might just be one of my best purchases so far for the shop. Now I can try out my own designs, or for that matter try to duplicate others. I’ve got a ton of ideas I want to try out. For example, I’ve always been kind of partial to the Spyderco designs. Most just seem really functional and comfortable to hold without losing any elegance in the overall design. I may try a fixed Manix 2 blade. Or, perhaps I’ll try out the Kershaw Mini Skinner 1081

– a good, easy design fixed knife. Still too early for me to attempt a custom folder, I have to learn more about the construction and design of a folder in order for me to try and build one. For the discerning knife enthusiast, how about a “Blackbear’s take” on a Mcusta Katana series folder in a fixed style? Boy, am I excited! Let me just begin the un-boxing and…

















Some assembly required.

2 comments:

  1. I honest to God laughed out loud! Did NOT see that coming! Good luck with that BB : /

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy. It turns out that this project required more maintenance and repair than the Kobalt workbench. I've actually had to take some of the pieces in to the shop and do some "clean-up" cuts on them. More to come on that!

      Delete